Skip to main content

Moving away from the "doing".

The "doing". I am an action oriented person, and upon reflection an action oriented learner. It is really difficult for me to stop the "doing" and sit in the reflection without taking action on the "doing better". As I begin to notice the common threads that weave together my "doing" I am able to see these as my learning. But every so often I slip back into focusing on the "doing" and I know this will be my biggest obstacle in writing my AOL's. 

I am currently working on separating my ideas, literature, illustrations, and quotes into four main areas which will form my four AOL's. I wanted to start with the first draft as requested, but as I started to put together thoughts I started to notice an overlap and bridges from one to another; so to gain clarity I have decided to section out all four and then pick one to draft. 

The working titles for my four areas of learning are: 

A Holistic Approach To Curriculum In Dance

Empowerment Through Effective Language and Communication 

Creating Safe Spaces Through Transformational Leadership

Inclusive Psychological Environments to Cultivate Positive Team Dynamics

As I formulate my structure and ideas surrounding each topic I am finding myself referencing back to the handbook and desired learning outcomes along with what I should include, and the various illustrations to include to help demonstrate the learning, plus trying to articulate the literature alongside my own experience, all in under 2,000 words. Oh, and avoid the chatter about the "doing" ;) 




Comments

  1. Great blog post Caleigh, maybe take some of the chatter of the doing into the studio or in nature and see how it feels to quieten it there...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so interesting because for me that is also the "doing"...perhaps I just need to shift my mind or get curious as to what the "doing" truly is? More questions than answers seems to be my pattern these last few weeks!

      Delete
  2. Really lovely to see your titles. I see you too are looking at the holistic approach in dance. It will be lovely to exchange ideas and resources in this area if you are up for it.
    I know what you mean about the challenge of sitting in reflection too. Although not an action learner but more of an observer, I find myself wanting to find the answers to how I can do better immediately, I find it really hard to realise that sometimes reflection and time are needed before those answers come to light. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ann, Yes absolutely! My email is caleigh_hunter@hotmail.com, if you want to email me we can chat further :)

      Delete
  3. Hi Caleigh, your AOL looks super interesting! I have an AOL titled 'Creating Accessible Spaces' which sounds like it might have some cross-over with you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Matthew, oh amazing, yes maybe we can discuss further? My email is caleigh_hunter@hotmail.com if you want to chat further or if I come across any literature that would pertain to your title I will send it your way!

      Delete
    2. I’ve just emailed you :) but maybe I’ll be floating around in your spam mail?

      Delete
  4. YES! your AOL feel so close to the ones! My first one was articulated thouhgts for an embodied practice (looking at words / communication) and the next ones will be about "team management" too. Team work, self-transcendency etc. + super relate about the doing... I do hate sitting down and reflect - which is why this MA is super interesting and passionately challenging for me.. do you also experience frustration? x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lea. I am definitely feeling better about them all, and actually since handing in my first two I can already see the things I should change about the next two moving forward or edits I wish I had done. Of course those edits wouldn't have been possible as I had step away from them to see it more clearly. I am getting better at re-framing the doing so that my action becomes the reflection. That has been very helpful :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Task One, Martha Graham

Task One: take a body of work from an artist and relate it to notions of knowledge, certainty, and positivism.  For this first task I chose to look at the work of Martha Graham. Graham technique is something I have dabbled in a few times throughout my early 20's and early 30's and over the Winter Holiday I decided to complete the teacher training workshop via zoom from the Martha Graham School in NYC. It was a lot to take on while on break from the MA but it was really incredible and I was so grateful for the time moving my body and relating it to what I had been reading for a few months prior.  One thing that I love about Graham technique is the use of imagery, the explanation of breath, and the simplicity of the theory yet the difficulty of the execution. Martha's technique was built on "the simplest movements walking, running, skipping, leaping" (Bannerman, 2010, p.3), and the reference to the spine is often correlated to a tree or more specifically a tree of l

Wearing multiple hats or one hat?

This past week I had my reflective essay feedback session and review. It was so interesting hearing what Helen had to say in comparison to my questions.  Written on my sheet were: * Is my tone academic or juvenile? How to write "I" without sounding like "Gossip Girl xoxo"? * Struggling to separate Somatics- any ideas?  * My practice is all  three streams- how do I pull this to one if that is not reflective of my practice? Before I read these my feedback was given, and this is what I wrote down from Helen's conversation: * The use of I is imperative, it is after all from your perspective, so the writing matches what has been asked * I am in a Somatics focused MA so I need to pull together my HOW rather than comparing my experience or agreeing to literature, explain more about your feelings or sensation in relationship to these theories.  * I am focusing too much on separation, these are not so much 3 different avenues or different hats that I am putting on, they