Skip to main content

Am I am an imposter in my own life?

Even in my own language, I have often felt misunderstood. 

I have been thinking a lot about language as I move through my AOL's. My parents are English speaking as am I, my Mom is a writer from Toronto, my Dad is a mechanic from Glasgow. Growing up I used words that my friends didn't quite understand (as my Dad had some influence on our Canadian-Scottish verbiage); "Hen" wasn't just a bird, it's a "Bum Bag" never a fanny-pack, and my "Tea" was more than a cup of Tetley. I haven't ever reflected on this, it was always just something that my family did that was "different". I was always described as "full on", "too much", "extreme", "big personality", or a "strong young girl". I knew I was "a lot" and I ran with it. As a dancer I was too muscular, as a fitness trainer I wasn't muscular enough. As a dance teacher I am "too chill", as a yoga teacher I am "pretty fire-y". I studied Sport in University and my cohort was all very masculine, nice people but we were all jocks, most who played Hockey or Rugby. I was "the dancer". I was the only one in my class who didn't belong to a "Sport", as I was told often that dance just wasn't a sport. In the dance world I was too "sporty". As a human I am "competitive" but as a competition teacher I am "not competitive enough". And so here I am...landing in the MAPP with a whole lot of descriptors of what makes me me, but none of which I have actually said myself. 

Language.

So now as I reflect upon my practice, my question is not so much about my practice but more so "why" is it "my" practice? I am a rejection of all the things I was told I am not, and all of the things I was told that I am. So where does that leave me and my practice? My practice is a balance of sport, artistry, yoga principles, moments of soft intuitive movement in the dark, moments of techno and screaming, and everything in between. I am student and a teacher. A performer and a choreographer. An employee and an owner. I am all the in between. I don't feel like an imposter in any of those areas, but perhaps it is those words that have been spoken to me time and time again that have left me floating in the middle, and have left my practice a quilt of various frameworks that have been highlighted, crossed out, bold and italicized, and deleted.

As I wait for the feedback from my first AOL I can feel myself sitting in the "uh-oh was I..."
" Was I completely off the mark?"
"Are my topics even valid?"
"Am I Arts based enough?"
"Did I use my own reflection enough or too much?"
"Are all my AOL's different enough if there is so much overlap?"
"Who am I to have an opinion on my own practice" (yes I know, but I actually thought that!)
"Am I Somatic Studies or Pedagogy or Performance?"
"Is there enough of any of those to validate who I am and what my practice is?"
"Do you think they've noticed I slipped into the program?"

So if you are reading this and you have any of those thoughts too, come join me in my pool of uncertainty, it's a wild place. It can be a scorcher, or ice bath, but at least it's mine :) 


Photo: Dyana Sonik-Henderson. Work: 1,000 pieces of pi
Dancer: Me (Caleigh Hunter)


Comments

  1. I am joining you in the pool of uncertainty!! Goodness, I relate to so much of what you are saying here. All my life I have felt a similar conflict. From being told I was 'not academic' as a child and always a 'classical dancer' in training. To then being told I was 'too academic' as a professional dancer and that I 'think too much'. 'Too modern' as a dancer to some people then 'too classical' to someone else. 'Too sensitive'...'Not tough enough' for some people yet is it that sensitivity which makes me the dancer I am? At the end of the day, it is so hard I find, to strip all that away and define yourself and work, not as who others think you are or who they think you should be, but to really get in touch with that core essence of self. Such a great post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing, I think it is a common experience!

      Delete
  2. Cael. Thank you for sharing. Your words resonate with my experience of trying to identify myself. After years of attempts to fit in a given framework, I concluded that it is not possible and not necessary. I can just highlight one side or edge for the particular environment. And probably I would be seen as an artist in the context of dance or as a dancer in the context of art. But this segregation of identity is superficial. It doesn't require me to dissect myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved that you mentioned language. A huge point for my 1st AOL. I read something yesterday that echoed your text. Its said that as dancers, we trained in "not doing" the wrong thing. Like, "not putting your hand like this, not using your feet like this" etc. Like we're taught about the things to avoid doing / imitating. Not sure what to do with this thought. It made me think about what you said once during a zoom session about eating/drinking in front of your students to show them they are allowed. mmh. Legitimacy is a huge thing for so many of us. Funnily enough - I now feel legitimate in the dance world. And I did not follow the usual path, did not go to dance school (did 1 year at LCDS in London after having completer a BA in 2 other topis) etc. BUT. My experience has now taken over my training. "My" life practice has given me legitimacy. Like your life practice / experiences is proving you are everything, but an imposter. My mojo this past few months: Fuck the imposter feeling*. Happily sharing it with you :) <3
    * this mojo does not invalidate the feeling huh! I totally get it. And I hate it. Hence the mojo x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh yes! It is so interesting that as dancers we are taught the negative examples in order to achieve the correct one. I resonate with that so much. I will be adapting your motto! Thank you for sharing.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Moving away from the "doing".

The "doing". I am an action oriented person, and upon reflection an action oriented learner. It is really difficult for me to stop the "doing" and sit in the reflection without taking action on the "doing better". As I begin to notice the common threads that weave together my "doing" I am able to see these as my learning. But every so often I slip back into focusing on the "doing" and I know this will be my biggest obstacle in writing my AOL's.  I am currently working on separating my ideas, literature, illustrations, and quotes into four main areas which will form my four AOL's. I wanted to start with the first draft as requested, but as I started to put together thoughts I started to notice an overlap and bridges from one to another; so to gain clarity I have decided to section out all four and then pick one to draft.  The working titles for my four areas of learning are:  A Holistic Approach To Curriculum In Dance Empowerment

Wearing multiple hats or one hat?

This past week I had my reflective essay feedback session and review. It was so interesting hearing what Helen had to say in comparison to my questions.  Written on my sheet were: * Is my tone academic or juvenile? How to write "I" without sounding like "Gossip Girl xoxo"? * Struggling to separate Somatics- any ideas?  * My practice is all  three streams- how do I pull this to one if that is not reflective of my practice? Before I read these my feedback was given, and this is what I wrote down from Helen's conversation: * The use of I is imperative, it is after all from your perspective, so the writing matches what has been asked * I am in a Somatics focused MA so I need to pull together my HOW rather than comparing my experience or agreeing to literature, explain more about your feelings or sensation in relationship to these theories.  * I am focusing too much on separation, these are not so much 3 different avenues or different hats that I am putting on, they