Skip to main content

Reflecting on Reflection in Reflective Theory

Reflective learning. 

Although I quite enjoy writing, I have never been one to write consistently in a journal, or come to think of it... I don't do anything consistently. My sleep schedule is all over the map from going to bed between 9pm-2am, to waking up at 4-10am. It depends on the day. Some days I work 14 hours, some I work 1. Some days I eat 3 meals, some days I eat 2, and some I eat 5. Depends on the day. Some days I listen to soft jazz and lay on the ground, some days I blast techno and scream around the house. 

The most consistent part of me is my inconsistency. I am a juggler of many jobs, a wearer of many hats, and a feeler of many emotions. 

When it comes to learning...I am the same way. Some days I can listen and learn, other days what you say goes in one ear and immediately out the other. I am a note taker- but on paper, never digital. I learn by observation but some days I just have to feel it in my body. So when it comes to reflection of my learning I find myself agreeing with one theory one day and then not the next. Consistently inconsistent. 

I have been aware of reflection in my own practice, and a feedback forward environment is one that I have always been a part of. At the end of each day at the dinner table my family would go around and say one thing that went well, one thing we would do differently, one thing we learned, and one thing we were grateful for. Reflection of our daily lives was integrated early on. 

As a dancer or performer, I grew up being told exactly what I did wrong or what I could work on. It gave me a thick skin and the ability to draw on feedback as motivation. As a teacher I now look to my boss' and colleagues for feedback. This MA has given me an opportunity to not only reflect but put this reflection both into action and into further reflection through theory.  Here are some of the theory's that have resonated with me and that have helped to form my AOL's.

First AOL: "A holistic approach to dance curriculum". My main theory centered around Gagne's theory of learning and his 9 stage approach. I found that I could draw a straight line from these 9 stages to how I teach and the curriculum's that have or have not worked for my practice. 

Second AOL: "Empowerment through effective language and communication". Kolb's cycle of learning was where I began but I resonated more with Cowan's theory of Sequential Work which incorporated some of Kolb's cycle and some of Schon's reflective theory. The Sequential work theory looks at goals and objectives and begins with reflection prior to action. 

Third AOL: "Cultivating positive psychological movement practices". The main theory explored here brings together the ideas of pairing science and art and more specifically the psychology of the brain with the somatics of the body. As someone who is often tied to both science and art and straddles this line I felt these theories resonated with me most.

Fourth AOL: "Creating and integrating safe spaces in movement arenas". In this AOL I dove into the theory of "safe spaces" in a general sense and the theory of embodied cognition. 



Photo: "1000 pieces of Pi" by Dyana Sonik-Henderson, Broken Rhythms Victoria
Dancer: myself
Photo: Dyana Sonik-Henderson
Lighting: Emma Dickerson


Comments

  1. I can resonate with this so much - it made me think about the people in charge of continuity on film sets for some reason. The difference between continuity and consistency. I love the idea of being consistently inconsistent. I guess it sounds like you have so much direction as you describe your journey, there's a beautiful clarity in the continuation of your journey. But it also sounds like defining the zig zags you takes makes them meaningful, or purposeful or something.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 'Consistently inconsistent'. Love this. I resonate with that. But there seems to be something wonderful and empowering about that. It means that everyday you have the chance to connect with the world slightly differently, to see things differently and to begin again. It feels like there may be so much opportunity within this way of learning.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Moving away from the "doing".

The "doing". I am an action oriented person, and upon reflection an action oriented learner. It is really difficult for me to stop the "doing" and sit in the reflection without taking action on the "doing better". As I begin to notice the common threads that weave together my "doing" I am able to see these as my learning. But every so often I slip back into focusing on the "doing" and I know this will be my biggest obstacle in writing my AOL's.  I am currently working on separating my ideas, literature, illustrations, and quotes into four main areas which will form my four AOL's. I wanted to start with the first draft as requested, but as I started to put together thoughts I started to notice an overlap and bridges from one to another; so to gain clarity I have decided to section out all four and then pick one to draft.  The working titles for my four areas of learning are:  A Holistic Approach To Curriculum In Dance Empowerment

Am I am an imposter in my own life?

Even in my own language, I have often felt misunderstood.  I have been thinking a lot about language as I move through my AOL's. My parents are English speaking as am I, my Mom is a writer from Toronto, my Dad is a mechanic from Glasgow. Growing up I used words that my friends didn't quite understand (as my Dad had some influence on our Canadian-Scottish verbiage); "Hen" wasn't just a bird, it's a "Bum Bag" never a fanny-pack, and my "Tea" was more than a cup of Tetley. I haven't ever reflected on this, it was always just something that my family did that was "different". I was always described as "full on", "too much", "extreme", "big personality", or a "strong young girl". I knew I was "a lot" and I ran with it. As a dancer I was too muscular, as a fitness trainer I wasn't muscular enough. As a dance teacher I am "too chill", as a yoga teacher I am &qu

Wearing multiple hats or one hat?

This past week I had my reflective essay feedback session and review. It was so interesting hearing what Helen had to say in comparison to my questions.  Written on my sheet were: * Is my tone academic or juvenile? How to write "I" without sounding like "Gossip Girl xoxo"? * Struggling to separate Somatics- any ideas?  * My practice is all  three streams- how do I pull this to one if that is not reflective of my practice? Before I read these my feedback was given, and this is what I wrote down from Helen's conversation: * The use of I is imperative, it is after all from your perspective, so the writing matches what has been asked * I am in a Somatics focused MA so I need to pull together my HOW rather than comparing my experience or agreeing to literature, explain more about your feelings or sensation in relationship to these theories.  * I am focusing too much on separation, these are not so much 3 different avenues or different hats that I am putting on, they